Beginners & Intermediates Bonsai Classes
Every 1st and 3rd Saturday of Each Month
From 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Price: $20.00 per Session OR $150.00 for 10 Non-Consecutive Sessions
Walk Ins are Always Welcome!
Instructed by Shawn Stanton in the Main Greenhouse
2018 Class Schedule
December 1 & December 15
2019 Class Schedule
January 5 & January 19
February 2 & February 16
March 2 & March 16
April 6 & April 20
May 4 & May 18
June 1 & June 15
July 6 & July 20
August 3 & August 17
September 7 & September 21
October 5 & October 19
November 2 & November 16
December 7 & December 21
1) Come to the nursery earlier if they don't already have their own bonsai trees and/or tools to get some before class starts.
2) Bring one or two trees that are either pre-bonsai or one that has been worked on, but has some challenging issues that they would like advice on.
3) Bring their own tools --- at least a pair of sharp fine tipped scissors.
4) Have looked pretty hard at their trees and have some improvement ideas already in mind.
5) Understand that these are hands-on workshop style classes. The instructor will work with each participant individually to arrive at a plan and then coach him or her on how to do it.
Bonsai Class Topics Covered:
Trimming and Branch Ramification
Repotting, Soil Preparation, Tool Care and Tool Sharpening
Air-Layering to Make a New Tree
Dig Up Tree from Ground and Pot It for Bonsai Training
Seasonal Bonsai Care: Watering, Fertilization, Sunlight Amounts and Pests
Restyling or Starting Over
Pot Style and Pot Selection
Creating a Bonsai from Nursery Stock
Air-Layer Separation and Replanting
Our goal is to lead participants to do all of the work on their trees – a working workshop.
However, if asked, the instructor will step in for difficult or risky steps.